turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WSHILBURN
Returning Member

Deductibility of out-of-pocket expenses as a volunteer director of a 501 3-C nonprofit

I am the director of a non-profit organization, and I donate my time. I traveled at my own expense to two conferences as a representative of the organization. Am I allowed to deduct my reasonable out-of-pocket expenses including airfare, hotel, conference registrations fees, etc.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Deductibility of out-of-pocket expenses as a volunteer director of a 501 3-C nonprofit

You can’t deduct anything for your time but any out of pocket expenses you incur related to your volunteer service are charitable deductions. 

Carl
Level 15

I am the director of a non-profit organization

As an addendum, you need to be *REALLY* careful here because of your position. As you know, a "qualified charitable organization" is either a 50% or a 30% organization. That means for a 50% organization only 50% of what you donate can be claimed as an itemized deduction on SCH A. Ditto for a 30% organization.

If you are paying your expenses with your personal money, that has a high potential to raise "audit me now!" flags with the IRS. For example, if you are paying for a plane ticket with your personal credit card and then claiming it as a donation, that's a definite flag raiser.

What you need to be doing to remain "under the radar" so-to-speak, is make your "donation" directly to the organization. Then let the organization use organization funds directly out of the organization's bank account, to purchase your tickets and pay any other qualified expenses on behalf of the organization.

Not doing it that way will not only raise flags with the IRS on your personal return, but it also puts the organization's tax exempt status at risk. This is because of your position as director of the non-profit organization. So all organization related expenses "need" to be paid by the organization directly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies