Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsonp
Returning Member

Convert home into rental and interest expense

I currently own a home#1, primary home with homestead. I want to do a cash out refinance and take the money out about 80K to pay for new home#1 i will be purchase as new primary home. Home#1 i plan to rent it out. My question is since my home#1, once i convert to rental. can the interest of 80K be treat as expense interest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@jsonp wrote:

I currently own a home#1, primary home with homestead. I want to do a cash out refinance and take the money out about 80K to pay for new home#1 i will be purchase as new primary home. Home#1 i plan to rent it out. My question is since my home#1, once i convert to rental. can the interest of 80K be treat as expense interest?

No. 

The $80k was not spent on the rental property, so it is not a rental expense. 

In order for mortgage interest to be a personal itemized deduction on Schedule A, the mortgage must be on your residence where you live, which it is not.

jsonp
Returning Member

I mean to ask if the  mortgage interest can be use as rental expense on property i rent out home#1. 

I already answered that in my first comment.

jsonp
Returning Member

Thanks for reply. so if i own a house as primary , i do a cash out refinance to take cash out. I live there for few month . then convert to rental. the mortgage rental is still cant be expense ?

No, if it is not spent on the rental property itself (or for other rental purposes), it is NOT a rental deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies