Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child tax credit

I received a letter from the IRS telling me that I will get the child tax credit for both of my children and the amount of $500. I received their letter a couple days before the deposit was made to my checking account and when I got my credit I only got $250. I’m wondering if I did my taxes wrong I don’t know what is going on. I claimed both of my children this year. I don’t understand

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
fkbright
Expert Alumni

Child tax credit

Greetings,

Unfortunately the roll out of the advanced payments of the child tax credit has experienced a number of issues.

You can use this website to make sure you are enrolled to receive the payments.  This site is being updated so you will also be able to check / update additional information later in the year.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

If the portal shows a payment sent that you never received, you can request a payment trace if you have not received your child tax credit payment. You must complete Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund to start your payment trace.

It is possible that one of your children is no longer eligible to receive the credit.  If one of your children turns 18 before January 1, 2022, they would no longer be eligible for the payment.

If both of your children are eligible for the advanced payment of the tax credit, you will be able to claim and receive any "missing" amount when you file your 2021 tax return.

Kind regards,

fkbright

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies