turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

halfbreed1981
Returning Member

Can't claim my son on my 2019 taxes because his mother claimed him on stimulus non filers form

im not sure what to do. IRS office is closed due to pandemic so nobody their to answer call. SSA office is also closed. When i file my texes it keeps rejecting my tax return because someone already claimed my dependent. Only thing i can think of is his mother who has no job for years has claimed him when she filed for her stimulus check. What do i do???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can't claim my son on my 2019 taxes because his mother claimed him on stimulus non filers form

Where did the child live more than half the nights of the year? With you or the other parent?

halfbreed1981
Returning Member

we live together. The stimulus check shouldnt affect my 2019 taxes

halfbreed1981
Returning Member

my taxes and her stimulus check should not affect each other

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you live together but file separately, then you have to decide who claims the child on the tax return. If she does not work (non-filer) she should not have claimed the child if they are your dependent. Your return and her stimulus absolutely affect each other if you are both claiming the same child.

@halfbreed1981 wrote:

we live together. The stimulus check shouldnt affect my 2019 taxes

If you and the mother are married, then you should have been filing as "married filing jointly" and your spouse is NOT a non-filer.

If you are not married, and the mother does not work, then, by claiming your child, she may have indeed invalidated your stimulus claim and ability to e-file.  The stimulus payment is technically an advance on a new credit that will be added to the 2020 tax return.  The IRS will use your 2019 or 2018 information to estimate the payment so taxpayers get it now, but the actual amount you are owed will be calculated on your 2020 tax return.  Then, if you are owed more than you got, you will get the difference added to your 2020 refund.  (If you are paid now more than you calculate on your 2020 return, you don't have to repay the excess.)

If your partner has indicated that the child is her dependent as a non-filer, then you could be blocked from claiming the dependent.  You can print your return and mail it, but it is now possible that the IRS will claw back the payment from your partner, or disallow you from claiming the child as a dependent.

When two parents live together unmarried and share custody of their biological child, one parent lists the child as a dependent on their tax return and the other parent needs to be completely hands-off.  Your partner screwed up by claiming the child as a non-filer when you were planning (and have in the past) claimed your child as a dependent.

If you are lucky, and the IRS is sloppy, you and your partner will each get a $1700 stimulus payment and you won't have to pay it back.  But you are only supposed to get one payment for the dependent, so if the IRS catches up to what you have done, your maximum stimulus payment should be $1200 for your partner and $1700 for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies