Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim supplemental property taxes?

I purchased my home in January 2015 in CA. On December 10, 2015, I received two separate supplemental property tax bills in the mail. One was for 2014-2015 and the other for 2015-2016. All payments were due in 2016 and paid in 2016. Can I claim supplemental property taxes and if so, am I able to claim all or some of the payments made in 2016 even though the supplemental property tax bills are for 2014-2015 & 2015-2016?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Yes, you can claim those. You claim all property taxes that you paid in 2016 regardless of what year they are for.

Thank you very much!!!

I'm in a similar situation. My wife and I bought a house in June 2019, we received our supplemental tax bill in December 2019. I paid half of it in December 2019 and the other half in February 2020.

I know I can claim the portion I paid in December 2019, but can I also claim the portion I paid in February 2020 when filing my taxes for the 2019 tax year?

you are on cash basis, so what you pay in 2020 goes with the 2020 tax return (next year). 

even if your local taxing authority presented you with a 2016 bill that you paid today, it goes on the 2020 tax return and not an amended 2016 tax form

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies