turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Backdoor Roth on TurboTax

Hi,

Wife and I made 240,000 in 2021 and I am 56.  I thought the purpose of the backdoor Roth was to avoid the penalty, so that no matter what your income is, you won't have to pay the 6% penalty.   Is that accurate?

So in 2021, I deposited $7,000 after-tax dollars into my traditional Vanguard IRA, and then immediately opened a new Roth IRA and funded it with the same $7,000 I had just deposited.

Now in TurboTax, I'm in Deductions/Credits, Retirement & Investments, Roth IRA.    I enter all my info, and at the end it says I owe the 6% penalty.

Pretty much everywhere I read says there should be no penalty as long as I backdoored it, which I did.   I think I am perhaps entering something wrong on TurboTax?   Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

There are two main steps to entering a backdoor Roth IRA conversion into TurboTax.  First, you have to enter the non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution.  Second, you enter the Form 1099-R reporting the distribution from the Traditional IRA and subsequent conversion to a Roth IRA.

If you are seeing a penalty being calculated, you most likely entered the Roth IRA contribution into your return.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article for step-by-step instructions for entering the information required to report your backdoor Roth IRA conversion:

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

There are two main steps to entering a backdoor Roth IRA conversion into TurboTax.  First, you have to enter the non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution.  Second, you enter the Form 1099-R reporting the distribution from the Traditional IRA and subsequent conversion to a Roth IRA.

If you are seeing a penalty being calculated, you most likely entered the Roth IRA contribution into your return.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article for step-by-step instructions for entering the information required to report your backdoor Roth IRA conversion:

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, Annette.   Your answer and the article you suggested were perfect, and I saw what I was doing wrong.  Thank you!

For anyone else who sees this, simply follow the instructions in that article step by step, and you'll see how it works.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies