Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asl0329

RE: AZ community property (Form 8958) if we have separate incomes, accounts (investment/bank) and always filed separate. Mtg and the joint checkonly shared.

Do we report community property income on Form 8958 if we have separate incomes that go to separate bank accounts, hold separate investment accounts and the only thing we share is our house mortgage and the checking account (which I claim interest for in my personal taxes) attached to it for anything that relates to home (i.e. bills)?  We live in the state of Arizona and we've always filed married but filing separate ever since we got married.  We only have personal wages (W-2), dividends and interests as our income (no rents, no military or alimony or retirement pay).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

RE: AZ community property (Form 8958) if we have separate incomes, accounts (investment/bank) and always filed separate. Mtg and the joint checkonly shared.

Arizona is a community property state, which means that all property acquired by either spouse during the marriage is considered to be jointly owned. Upon a divorce, it will be divided approximately equally. 

Arizona law defines separate property as property that is acquired prior to marriage, or received as a gift from a third party, or received by inheritance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies