Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-C

I donated a vehicle this year to a charitable organization, they are keeping it & not selling it.  My 1098-C form I received from them has both 6a & 6b info listed but the turbotax software only has 6a question, no 6b what should I do.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

1098-C

TurboTax does have Box 6b for Form 1098-C, however, it is not shown unless you check yes on box 6a

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

1098-C

Yes, if you have information to report in Box 6b then check Box 6a, yes to allow Box 6b to show.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

1098-C

TurboTax does have Box 6b for Form 1098-C, however, it is not shown unless you check yes on box 6a

1098-C

My form from my Charity has 6a box "No" checked has listed in 6b the value of my donated vehicle, should I check 6a "Yes" in turbotax to get 6b to show up instead of No like the Charity did

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

1098-C

Yes, if you have information to report in Box 6b then check Box 6a, yes to allow Box 6b to show.

Alisme123Alisme
Returning Member

1098-C

Turbo Tax said to attach the 1098-C form.  Nothing within the program allows for that.  Is my filing incomplete?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

1098-C

Your filing may not be complete.

Did you get a message from the TurboTax program after you e-filed that you need to send Form 8453 and certain attachments to the IRS?  If so, you’ll need to send it in.  

TurboTax creates the form for you, and it will serve as a cover page for you to include when you send this additional documentation in.  

If you’ve donated a qualified vehicle with a claimed fair market value of more than $500, you’ll need to attach Copy B of Form 1098-C to Form

8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return, and mail the forms to the IRS.  

Please see Form 1098-C on page 8 of 2021 Publication 526 and Form 8453 - U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file for more information.

The requirement to send in Form 8453 won’t delay the processing of your tax return, but it needs to be sent to the IRS within three business days after you’ve received your acknowledgement that the IRS has accepted your return.     

@Alisme123Alisme

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies