Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

question on foreign tax credit carry over

Am seeing AMT foreign tax credit carryovers on form 1116, but zero foreign tax credit carryover to 2023.

Does this mean i have no  foreign tax credit carryovers to next year ?

However on Schedule B of form 1116 i see a foreign tax credit carryover to 2023.

Am a bit  confused. What does this mean Can someone help clarify ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

look at your 2022 form 1116 line 14 which includes any prior carryovers if Turbotax didn't mess up on c/o 

line 23 is the amount used. 

note the following. FTC can be carried over 10 years. Current year FTC is used before carryovers so it's not uncommon for c/o to expire.  because of the way FTC is computed for regular tax and AMT tax it's possible to have an AMT c/o but no regular tax c/o

View solution in original post

2 Replies

look at your 2022 form 1116 line 14 which includes any prior carryovers if Turbotax didn't mess up on c/o 

line 23 is the amount used. 

note the following. FTC can be carried over 10 years. Current year FTC is used before carryovers so it's not uncommon for c/o to expire.  because of the way FTC is computed for regular tax and AMT tax it's possible to have an AMT c/o but no regular tax c/o

Thanks ! 

Am filing for my now deceased parent who sold a house overseas in 2022. He had no other income save the capital gains on the house sale. Taxes were paid @ 24 % of taxable income in the foreign country and i was under the assumption that would cover Federal taxes and NIIT taxes. To my surprise almost 50% of the foreign tax paid ended up as Foreign Tax Credit, requiring me to pay a sizable amount of tax (about 30K) in 2022. About 50% of the foreign tax was carried over to 2023 as credit.

Can i file taxes on his behalf for a small left interest amount in 2023 and use the FTC carried over to 2023 (from 2022), to get a refund of the 30K tax amount i had to pay in 2022 ?

many thanks !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies