Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about proposed changes to child tax credit laws

Currently I have two dependents, both under the age of 4. For this year (2021), I have adjusted my withholding so that I receive additional money in my bi-weekly paycheck spread over the year as opposed to receiving the two combined $2000 credits in my refund next year. They are talking about passing the increase child tax credits of $3600 per child and turning it into a monthly payment. If they were to pass this law, how would it factor into my current situation exactly? I am planning long term for financial instability later this year so any help is greatly appreciated.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The proposed stimulus package calls for giving families $3,600 per child under age 6, and $3,000 per child for older minors including those age 17. The one-year change would also make the child tax credit fully refundable. As a result, parents who currently receive no credit or a reduced credit due to having little to no income would become eligible for the money.

The full credit would be available to individuals with up to $75,000 in adjusted gross income, heads of household with up to $112,500, and joint filers with up to $150,000, based on 2019 or 2020 tax filing information. It would phase out at $200,000 for individuals and $400,000 for joint filers.

The proposal would also make it so that payments could be paid to families monthly instead of having to wait for the money until the end of the year when they file their tax returns.

The bill would make it so families receive up to $300 per month per child under 6 and $250 per month per child ages 6 to 17.

The monthly payments would not start until July because the IRS would need about five months to get its systems up and running

The tax effect, if the above is passed, would be simple.  Your refund would be less for the amounts of the prepaid Child Tax Credits.  All of the above is speculation based on a proposed Bill.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the answer but I'm still a little confused. Are you simply saying that I would not get any extra money in my paycheck or in a "monthly payment" but instead would get the extra added to my refund next year? 

Thanks!

-Shane

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies