Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about Health Insurance Tax Credit

Hi.  I had almost $29k in income last year, most of which was Social Security.  After some Capital Losses and the Standard deduction, the online version calculated my "Income" (I think taxible) at about $2300.  Oh, this included $200 in earned revenue and some interest.  No taxes were witheld on them.

I am on a Medicare Advantage Program that is an HMO.   Social Security pays them directly.  I have to pay them a few dollars each month. It shows up on the State Marketplace.

From, the tax tables., I thought I'd ow about $200, but TT calculated about $800.   I dug and dug and saw a note about the tax credit, but it didn't make sense to me.   I can't seem to find that page.

Could someone please explain why I'd be paying about 31% of my AGI?  This makes no sense to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Question about Health Insurance Tax Credit

It sounds like a subsidy was determined on your state marketplace plan form.  If your income varied from the amount used to determine the subsidy, this is reconciled through the health insurance premium tax credit.  I would double-check your entries in that section of the program  to be sure all three columns of data are properly completed for each month that you had the plan.

You will find this under Deductions & Credits, Medical, and then Marketplace Insurance/1095-A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies