Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddirector1
Returning Member

Qualified Business Income (“QBI”) Deduction / Specified Service Trades or Businesses (SSTB) / Consulting

Key Background to Understand the Questions:

• On January 1, 2019, I was working full-time for a "Company A" and was paid on a W-2 basis. By May 31, 2019, I was no longer employed by Company A. During my 5 months of employment at Company A, I earned in excess of $157,500 of taxable W-2 income. Assume my 2019 W-2 income from Company A is 170,000 before any deductions.
  • On August 1, 2019, I formed "Company B," an LLC, which provides a variety of business services to its clients, including those potentially deemed to be “consulting” within the scope of Specified Service Trades or Businesses (SSBT). I am the sole-owner of Company B, as well as the only person who will perform work on behalf of Company B. Neither Company B nor any of its client companies have any relation whatsoever to Company A.
  • For 2019, you can assume I am single/unmarried for the entire tax year and that all of my income is derived from Company A and Company B. 
  • For the topics below, assume that my industry experience/expertise prior to starting Company B was in bicycle manufacturing.

Questions on the QBI Deduction for Company B:

• Since my W-2 income from Company A (which is in excess of $157,500) is entirely unrelated to Company B, would my W-2 income from Company A still be included in determining whether my earnings from Company B qualify for the 20% pass-through deduction?
  • Assuming my income level means I need to consider if Company B or any of its activities would make it an SSBT for tax treatment, what activities would be deemed to be “Consulting?” Below are some example revenue generating activities of Company B that I would like clarification on whether the activity would be deemed a SSBT under the definition of Consulting:
    • Creating a PowerPoint presentation for a client’s ice cream business. The activity only requires someone to be proficient in PowerPoint. I have no expertise in ice cream businesses: only in bicycle manufacturing.
    • Conducting general market research for a Client. For example, a Client wants Company B to create a list of all the ice cream shops in New York and send it to them in an email. Essentially, anyone with access to google and email could create this list.
    • Conducting general market research for a Client, but in this case it is somewhat related to my background. For example, a Client wants Company B to create a list of all the bicycle shops shops in New York and send it to them in an email. Again, anyone with access to google and email could create this list; however, my background is in bicycle manufacturing (not retails sales but still somewhat related).  
    • Discussing/Answering questions on the phone about the manufacturing process of bicycle wheels. This activity requires my bicycle manufacturing expertise.
  • Based on the example activities above, is it possible for Company B to recognize certain activities as a SSBT for tax treatment and certain activities as non-SSBT? Can you explain how this calculation would work?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Qualified Business Income (“QBI”) Deduction / Specified Service Trades or Businesses (SSTB) / Consulting

Not answering, just posting to see if anyone takes pity and answers your homework problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies