Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI issue

I received K1s for various rental real estate partnerships that I own.  All of the rental income is derived from triple net leases and therefore are not eligible for the QBI tax credit.  However, the accountants who prepared the K1s have entered information in box 20, code Z.   How do I indicate in TT that none of my businesses are eligible for the QBI tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

QBI issue

your understanding may be wrong

The section 199A safe harbor does not apply to real estate enterprises that have triple net leases. However, triple net leases (NNN) do not automatically prevent a 199A deduction. A rental real estate enterprise can still be treated as a trade or business for the purpose of section 199A if the enterprise otherwise meets the definition of trade or business under section 162.

ask the partnership. either they don't know about the NNN limitation or they believe the activities qualify as a trade or business under section 162

you can not be forced to take the 199A deduction so to avoid it 

box 20 info goes nowhere so don't enter it (do not check that box 20 had amounts unless there are amounts other than for 20Z. you'll come to a question about code Z for box 20 - answer no

you're done with QBI

QBI issue

Thanks Mike:  I figured out the last part of your advice before receiving your response.  I am pretty sure none of the rental real estate llcs qualify under section 162 but I will double check.

Karen

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies