Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QBI deduction

TurboTax will not allow me to enter data on Forms 8995/8995A to obtain a QBI deduction. Are these forms not functional as of this date, 2/29/20?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

QBI deduction

You cannot enter information directly on these forms.  If you qualify for the Qualified Business Income Deduction you are asked questions as you put in the information from your business to see if the income qualifies for the deduction.

If you received a K-1 from and Partnership (1065 K-1) or from an S-Corp (1120S K-1) the information shows in box 20 for the 1065 K-1 or box 17 for the 1120S K-1.

The program then uses the information to calculate the Qualified Business Income Deduction to report on your return.

Do I qualify for the qualified business income deduction?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

QBI deduction

Thank you.

I was not clear when I asked my question.

My QBI  was generated when I sold a complete limited partnership interest in 2019. The ordinary income component of the total gain was calculated using the K-1 "sales schedule". I also sold a different LP in 2018 and, at that time, was able to enter the data directly into the QBI worksheet.

Is something different this year?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

QBI deduction

Yes, you cannot make any entries directly to form 8995 for 2019 unless you purchase the desktop version of TurboTax and override the entries the program makes.

QBI deduction

Thanks for your reply. 

Will TT upgrade the software so it accepts Form 8995 data directly? 

The ordinary income I generated by selling a PTP position automatically transferred to Form 4797, Part ll but from there it does not  flow to Form 8995, as it should. I finally did enter the data into Form 8995 using the override function. However, TT does not like the use of override and now every cross check flags these entries as errors.

Help!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

QBI deduction

TT will ask if you wish to upgrade the product. The only issue with the override is that you cannot electronically file the return.  if you are comfortable with your overrride and have no other option, you can print and mail your return.

Angeli
Returning Member

QBI deduction

So is this a bug in the software?

Or turbotax has not done the form 8995 and 8995A

Seems like there is no calculation formula set on 8995A.

QBI deduction

While one could make direct entries onto Form 8995 in tax year 2018, in tax year 2019 one could not (?why). Using the override function is never a good option. TT just doesn't like it.

You need to find the correct form(s) on which to enter your QBI figures. For me they were Form 1065 (K-1) and K-1, additional information, sale of partnership interest.

Once you enter these figures on the appropriate forms, the QBI information should flow to form 8995 and the deduction be automatically calculated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies