Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kandersen

Pretty sure I messed up the section on mortgage interest. I didn't get any credit for interest paid. How can I check my answers to those questions again?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristieB

Pretty sure I messed up the section on mortgage interest. I didn't get any credit for interest paid. How can I check my answers to those questions again?

Mortgage interest is in the Deductions and Credits section under Your Home. There will be a subcategory called Mortgage Interest, Refinancing and Insurance (Form 1098)

You may have entered it correctly, but if the sum of your itemized deductions doesn't exceed your standard deduction, TurboTax will automatically use the standard deduction because it brings you the most benefit. 

TurboTax will show you which deduction method it is using when you are done entering your Deductions and Credits and you scroll down to click Wrap Up Tax Breaks. Please see the attached screenshot for an example of what this page may look like. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Are you itemizing your deductions or taking the standard deduction ?
ChristieB

Mortgage interest is in the Deductions and Credits section under Your Home. There will be a subcategory called Mortgage Interest, Refinancing and Insurance (Form 1098)

You may have entered it correctly, but if the sum of your itemized deductions doesn't exceed your standard deduction, TurboTax will automatically use the standard deduction because it brings you the most benefit. 

TurboTax will show you which deduction method it is using when you are done entering your Deductions and Credits and you scroll down to click Wrap Up Tax Breaks. Please see the attached screenshot for an example of what this page may look like. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies