Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

possible duplication of health insurance costs

Hello,

I am doing my taxes with Turbo Tax Home and Business 2003.  I am self employed and therefore put in the costs of medical insurance and long term care insurance for myself and my spouse under the business section.  This year, due to low earnings, only $8,834 of these costs were written off against my earnings, leaving $8,463 not deducted.   I  filled in medical expenses while looking at itemized deductions, Sched A.  The Turbo Tax questions in this section do not bring up medical insurance or long term insurance at all, I assume because it was already captured under business.  However, the numbers they input in Schedule A for medical insurance and long term care insurance add up to $14, 349, which is $5,886 over what it should be, if I am assuming I should only be able to claim the $8,463 not already deducted.  I have tried following input trails to no avail, and am flummoxed.  Any idea how to sort this out other than overriding the inputs in Schedule A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

possible duplication of health insurance costs

You should not override numerical fields in Forms mode, as it may prevent you from e-filing as well as invalidate your accurate calculation guarantee.

If you go back to the Medical Expenses section at the Deductions and Credits main screen, and select Update next to Medical Expenses, TurboTax should ask about each type of medical expense item.

With Home and Business, you can go to Forms mode by clicking the Forms button at the upper right, and then look at the Medical Expenses Worksheet which TurboTax populated from your entries for all types of medical expenses.

Line 2a of the worksheet is for "Premiums other than self-employed health insurance or reported on Form 1095-A". If you want to add supporting details for that line, right-click in the box with the dollar amount and then click "Add Supporting Details". Right-clicking in the box also brings up other informational options.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies