Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mm121212
Returning Member

personal property missouri

I am trying to take personal property tax deduction for my state of missouri tax return. but it is not showing up under deductions. it comes up as zero. can my income level be preventing it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

No.  It is not based on income.  It might be that your deductions for taxes has exceed the $10,000.00 limit.  You can deduct up to $10,000 (or $5,000 if married filing separately) of state and local taxes, including personal property taxes.

If the sum total of all of the taxes mentioned above exceeds $10,000.00 then there is a limit of $10,000.00 deductible.

@Mm121212 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You will need to enter the personal property tax in the federal section of TurboTax. In the Federal section of TurboTax, go to the Deductions and Credits section, then Cars and Other Things You Own, then Personal Property Taxes

It would only be deductible on your federal tax return if you have enough itemized deductions for the total to be more than your standard deduction. The typical standard deduction for a single filer is $12,550 and is $25,100 for married filing joint. It may be that you don't have enough deductions to allow you to itemize, so your property tax deduction is not showing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies