Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Partial recontribution to 529 where do I report the taxable income portion on the 1040?

My daughter used a 529 in November 2022 to pay for winter (Jan-April 2023) tuition, room, and board.  For medical reasons, she dropped out of school in late March of 2023.  The university refunded her tuition.  At the time of the refund, I was told part of the refund was for meals, which I had not yet reimbursed my daughter for. Today, I learned the entire refund was for tuition and all of the money should have been sent back to the 529 within 60 days to avoid being taxed on the earnings.  So, now we have $740.48 that was not recontributed to the 529.  I calculated that $215.00 was the earnings (rest of $740.48 was basis). Where do we enter the $215 as taxable income? Right now I have it as Miscellaneous Income under the "Less Common Income" section.  Will I be able to label the $215 as taxable income due to tuition refund which was paid with a 529?

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Partial recontribution to 529 where do I report the taxable income portion on the 1040?

Yes, you have to enter a description when you entered it in Other Reportable Income.    I left instructions on your other post, you can find it here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies