Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thegoodreturn
Returning Member

Overlapping double HDHP coverage with HSA contribution

The last day at my previous job was on August 1st. I had an HDHP with an HSA and they contributed $500 to my HSA. I will have HDHP coverage until August 31st.

I will be starting at a new job on August 25th, and I will have HDHP coverage with another HSA account on day one of my new employment.

Will this concurrent, double HDHP coverage between August 25th and August 31st affect my ability to contribute to my new HSA? And will I still be able to contribute up to $4150 including any employer contributions provided I had an HDHP at my old job since January 1st 2024? (I don't have any dependent HDHP coverage)

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

both HDHPs must meet the requirements for the minimum annual deductible and maximum annual deductible and out of pocket expenses.

The definition of HDHP is one with higher annual deductibles than typical health plans but to qualify for an HSA the deductibles must meet the minimums specified for that year. Not all may meet these requirements

for 2024

As long as both plans are HSA-eligible, there are no issues, and you can contribute to your full limit for the year.  Having two HSA-eligible HDHPs is not considered "other coverage" that would disqualify you.

Additionally, qualification is determined on the first day of each month, which means that since the first plan will end August 31, you would not have overlapping coverage on Sept 1 even if the overlapping coverage from 8/25-8/31 was disqualifying (which it is not)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies