turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Other Income on 1099-MISC

My wife received two 1099-MISC forms.  Each have the same amount in the "Nonemployee Compensation" box. Each form has a different amount in the "Other Income" box.  Descriptions are accurate on the back of each form for what the Other Income was for.  When I enter the two form separate in TurboTax it makes it seem like she made twice the Compensation.  Do I just enter one form in and enter the Total of the Other Income amounts or what?

Thanks  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Other Income on 1099-MISC

Did she receive two separate payments? Or, did she receive one payment but two separate 1099-MISC? The problem with the second scenario is that the IRS will likely have received a copy of both. In which case, if they do a document match, the income reported on your return will not match the documents they received. 

If she was only paid once, then you only need to report the income one time. Only enter one of the 1099-MISC. However, you may have to defend the entry to the IRS if they were expecting to see both payments. You may want to contact the company that issued the 1099-MISC. 

Depending on the nature of the work, this income may be subject to self-employment tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies