Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

soniawu
Returning Member

Other dependent tax credit

My son was a full time college student and lived with us whole year 2018. For this reason I claimed him as a dependent on my 2018 return. Turbo tax automatically generate a $500 for other dependent tax credit. However, he made more than $4150 from intern. This should disqualify the other dependent credit. But I found no place to enter the amount he made or manually disqualify it. Does any one know what to do? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

The "Qualifying Child" requirement for other dependent do not include the $4,150 limit. See below:

Qualifying child

• They are your biological child, stepchild, adopted child, eligible foster child, sibling or half-sibling, stepsibling, or an offspring of any of these;
  • They haven’t already been claimed for the Child Tax Credit or Credit for Other Dependents, either by you or by anyone else;
  • They are a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, or U.S. national;
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse;
  • They are under the age of 19 (24 for full-time students; no age limit for permanently and totally disabled children);
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply); and
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
soniawu
Returning Member

Read 1040 instruction. The answer is right. Turbo Tax is doing the right thing. But "Learn More" in Turbo tax is misleading. Not include "17-24 full time student" for the Qualifying Child.
Ashby

Thank you for letting us know!
Ashby

The "Qualifying Child" requirement for other dependent do not include the $4,150 limit. See below:

Qualifying child

• They are your biological child, stepchild, adopted child, eligible foster child, sibling or half-sibling, stepsibling, or an offspring of any of these;
  • They haven’t already been claimed for the Child Tax Credit or Credit for Other Dependents, either by you or by anyone else;
  • They are a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, or U.S. national;
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse;
  • They are under the age of 19 (24 for full-time students; no age limit for permanently and totally disabled children);
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply); and
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies