Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Online Data Entry job, with 100-200/day, is paid in Ethereum. How taxes work here?

My Wife works part ime for few hours a day as an Online Data Entry job for Cosmos tours. They pay in Ethereum using cryptowallets (Paybis/metamask). We cash down around 100-200 to our bank account on a daily basis. we are paying the GAS chares on the platforms. I have below questions.
1. Should I pay taxes on this?
2. How MetaMask give me a Tax form etc.to put it in Turbo tax?
3. I work Full time for a different company. Is it advisable for having this income for my Wife or on My SSN? 
I really dont want to evade taxes and just pursue this income if its 100% legal and doesnt land me in trouble. I am unsure, please help.
The Cosmostours supervisor says  its tax free as we pay GAS fee for using the crypto wallet platform. I am not convinced by that. Please help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Online Data Entry job, with 100-200/day, is paid in Ethereum. How taxes work here?

It sounds like your wife is a self-employed independent contractor. (However, she might be an employee, depending on the relationship between her and the company and the level of operational and financial control that the company exerts over her.)  assuming she is self-employed, then she would file like any other person who works as side gig, such as mowing, lawns, or driving for a service. She reports all of her gross income on schedule C. She can deduct ordinary and necessary, business expenses, if she has any. she pays income tax and self-employment tax on the net profit. Depending on the amount of income, she earns during the year, she may be required to pay quarterly estimated tax payments to avoid an underpayment penalty at the end of the year. 

I don’t know why you are suggesting that her income would be reported under your Social Security number. Her income belongs to her and is filed on a schedule C under her Social Security number. If you file a joint tax return, then her schedule C is combined with your W-2, and any other information, but her schedule C is reported under her Social Security number.

She is required to keep accurate records showing her own business income and expenses even if the employer doesn’t issue a tax form. The employer is required to issue a 109 –NEC if it pays her more than $600 during the year. I have a suspicion that they aren’t going to do this, (they may be acting illegally, depending on whether they are a US or off shore company), but even if they don’t issue a 1099, your wife is required to report and pay tax on all of her own income from her own accurate records. 

Your wife’s income is reported based on the US dollar conversion value on the day the income is paid. If she was paid weekly or monthly, you would use the conversion value on the date the funds are transferred. If she is paid daily, then you report the wages on a daily basis. Your wife will want to keep a spreadsheet that lists the amount of cryptocurrency she has paid each day, that days, conversion rate, and that days US dollar value. The total US dollar value for the whole year is her gross self-employment income. 

Her gross income is the US dollar value on the day she is paid (in cryptocurrency), even if she does not convert to US currency on the same day.  if she holds the cryptocurrency for any length of time, and converts to US currency at a higher or lower conversion rate than when she was paid, this creates a separate capital gains or capital loss transaction, which is reported on schedule D. 

Apparently they pay in USDC. I am unsure what does it mean in tax terminology. Even if they dont give me a 1099 Form, Will it still be legal if I pay my due taxes by taking assistance from a Turbo Tax CPA during my filing and report the numbers right to the best of my knowledge? I am in dilemma to continue or not with this gig for her.

@Pavan-Kanukollu wrote:

Apparently they pay in USDC. I am unsure what does it mean in tax terminology. Even if they dont give me a 1099 Form, Will it still be legal if I pay my due taxes by taking assistance from a Turbo Tax CPA during my filing and report the numbers right to the best of my knowledge? I am in dilemma to continue or not with this gig for her.

This applies to any small business/self-employed person who mainly works for cash:

The income tax system relies mostly on taxpayers being honest and providing truthful information on a voluntary basis.  Some income is documented to the IRS so the IRS can cross-check the tax return against income records (like W-2s and 1099s).  In the case of cash businesses, the IRS relies on people being voluntarily honest most of the time, with a few audits thrown in to help convince people to be honest.

If you are unlikely enough to be audited, the IRS can look at anything they want, including your bank records and spending habits.  If you spend more than you report as income, or have unexplained bank deposits, they are allowed to guess that you have other income under the table, and they can asses tax on that.  The burden of proof is on you to show your accurate income and business expense records.  The more accurate and complete your business records are, the more likely they will be forgiven and the IRS will be willing to overlook small discrepancies.  If your records are sloppy or just missing, then you will have a hard time persuading them to see things your way.

So the best defense of anyone who operates a cash business is to keep accurate records.  If your wife is being paid daily, there is no reason she can't keep a simple spreadsheet or written account book noting the daily payments.  Or, she may be able to retrieve a monthly statement from the bank or cryptocurrency exchange showing daily deposits and withdrawals.  With proper record keeping, you can report and pay tax on the right amount of income, and you have a defense in case of audit.  (With or without the help of a CPA.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies