Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 Prepper
Returning Member

One Time Charge - "Prepaid" Lifetime Medical Transportation Expense deducted the year the charge was incurred?

I purchased a "lifetime" emergency medical transportation membership in 2023 to cover any future emergency medical transportation expenses not completely covered by Medicare - such as flight for life - for the rest of my life.  In doing so, I incurred a one-time expense - or premium - all paid in December of 2023.  There will be no future premiums  expenses incurred for the rest of my life.

Assuming I itemize deductions, can I deduct the entire cost of the lifetime membership on my 2023 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

One Time Charge - "Prepaid" Lifetime Medical Transportation Expense deducted the year the charge was incurred?

2023 Prepper
Returning Member

Thank you Champ for sharing a copy of IRS Publication 502.  But I've read it and am unable to find a specific answer to my inquiry.  Can you please offer me additional direction?  Thank you.

You can include only the medical and dental expenses you paid this year, but generally not payments for medical or dental care you will receive in a future year.

2023 Prepper
Returning Member

Thanks Champ, Looks like I'll have to wait to claim the cost if / when I ever incur an ambulance ride or flight for life.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies