Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my State Tax return, how much of my medical expenses can I actually claim? it says that NJ lets you claim medical expenses in excess of 2% of your income.

Say I have somewhere along the lines of  $8300 in medical expenses but I also have  $2500 in Flex Spending acct and apparently I somewhere around $6900 in Pretax Benefits.  With that hypothetical numbers could I legally claim anything or not?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

On my State Tax return, how much of my medical expenses can I actually claim? it says that NJ lets you claim medical expenses in excess of 2% of your income.

If all your medical expenses were paid for with pre-tax dollars, you cannot again use those expenses for a deduction or credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Shouldn’t I be able to take the total number of medical bills  minus the pretax dollars and add that number for state taxes?  The other pretax number an estimate of what was paid pretax for the actual insurances.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Medical premiums are also medical expenses if paid for with after-tax dollars. 

Yes, add ALL your medical expenses including premiums you paid, and then subtract the amount that was paid with pre-tax dollars and the result (the expenses paid for with after-tax dollars) is the amount you can claim. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies