Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmtartemt
Returning Member

On my 2019 taxes I checked no to HDHP. My HDHP was effective January 1, 2019 and continues to present Should I have received a credit for our HDHP on our 2019 tax refund?

The December 1, 2018 question is what confused me on my 2019 taxes, so I checked no to HDHP, when in fact I had HDHP throughout 2019.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

On my 2019 taxes I checked no to HDHP. My HDHP was effective January 1, 2019 and continues to present Should I have received a credit for our HDHP on our 2019 tax refund?

Yes, you should have answered yes if you had coverage for the entire year of 2019.  I'm not sure what you mean by getting a credit.

The federal tax penalty for not being enrolled in health insurance was eliminated in 2019. The prior tax penalty for not having health insurance in 2018 was $695 for adults and $347.50 for children or 2% of your yearly income, whichever amount was more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This mistake would only affect your taxes if you made contributions to an HSA in 2019 (including payroll matches or free money from your employer).  If you made contributions, and did not check that you had a qualifying plan, you would have been subject to additional taxes and penalties.  You may want to amend your 2019 return.

If you had no contributions to any HSA in 2019, then this mistake did not affect your taxes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies