Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dorkas2

On form 8889, why is the worksheet putting $3,400 each month? I had employer contribution only. Did not have a high deductible

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On form 8889, why is the worksheet putting $3,400 each month? I had employer contribution only. Did not have a high deductible

Did you have an HSA? If so, your employer thinks that you are covered by an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan), probably one that they enrolled you in.

The $3,400 is the annual HSA contribution limit for 2017 for someone covered by a Self-only HDHP plan.

There is a table on the 8889 that lists $3,400 for each month; this is part of the calculation for the annual contribution limit, especially if you were not in the HDHP all year. The calculation is to add all the $3,400 for each month that you were in the HDHP, then divide by 12.

[Edited 3/19/2020 4:13 pm CDT - clarified post]

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Did you have an HSA? If so, your employer thinks that you are covered by an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan), probably one that they enrolled you in.

The $3,400 is the annual HSA contribution limit for 2017 for someone covered by a Self-only HDHP plan.

There is a table on the 8889 that lists $3,400 for each month; this is part of the calculation for the annual contribution limit, especially if you were not in the HDHP all year. The calculation is to add all the $3,400 for each month that you were in the HDHP, then divide by 12.

[Edited 3/19/2020 4:13 pm CDT - clarified post]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies