Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYS Marketplace Insurance Premium

In 2020, my spouse had medical insurance through the NY State marketplace.  She had coverage for 6 months.  She did NOT receive any advance premium credit and we are not eligible for any premium credit because our AGI is over 401% of the poverty level. 

She received a 1095-A (for 2020) in the mail.

In TurboTax Deluxe, under the section "how much did you spend on insurance premiums"   there is a note from TurboTax that says "don't include (marketplace) premiums here if you received a 1095-A".   Where would I include the total cost of the marketplace premiums?  In another section?  I am thinking the cost of these premiums is considered a valid medical expense. 

Requesting some clarification on this.  Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, as you know, medical insurance premiums paid for with after-tax dollars are indeed deductible on Schedule A.

I believe that the reason that you are told not to include the marketplace premiums is that it is done automatically from the 1095-A.

I encourage you to check this and see if the premiums were transferred automatically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much Bill.

I did not import any documents to Turbo Tax, so there was no way any of those premiums could have been added to TurboTax without my data entry.   I had entered those premium amounts and then I saw the message indicating to not include them.

I appreciate your timely feedback and response.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies