NY State Foreign Sourced Income for Services in Pr...

NY State Foreign Sourced Income for Services in Previous Year When Part Resident

Hi TUrbo Tax,

Hoping you can advise regarding my somewhat complicated scenario.

For FY 2018, I was a part resident for NY state, with the remaining time based on India. For my services at the Indian office, I received a bonus in India paid out in Jan 2019. Taxes for this were paid via withholding in India.

While I receive a foreign tax credit on the federal return, what are my options for avoiding double tax on NY state return? Given I was a part NY resident in 2018 for when this income was paid for, can my tax for 2019 in NY be reduced?

Thanks!

Please advise if you are still in India.  If you returned to NY , when did you move back?  Thank you.

Hi Karen,

I was India until June 2018. Have been in New York since. The 2019 Jan bonus was for my employment in India. There was also a 2019 Jan bonus for my 2018 employment  in New York, but that is already covered on my 2019 W2.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help. I appreciate any further direction you can provide.