Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saifQawa
Returning Member

New immigrant stimulus

Hello,

I'm a US citizen who received the full stimulus checks amount, my wife is a new immigrant who'll get her SSN soon. We filed 2020 taxes as married jointly (she has ITIN), thus she didn't receive stimulus payment. My question is, can she receive 1st, 2nd, or third stimulus checks when we file 2021 taxes after she receives her SSN?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

New immigrant stimulus

Yes for the third payment. 

When you file your 2021 tax return and you both have a Social Security number, you should be eligible for the third stimulus for both of you. If you only received one payment, the payment attributed towards your wife should be refunded as a credit on your 2021 Tax Year return. 

No, not the first or second payments. 

The Social Security Number must be obtained by the due date of the return. 

For the First and Second payments, that was the due date of the 2020 Tax Year return. 

According to the IRS:
"• If applicable, include your spouse’s EIP 1 as shown on your spouse’s Notice 1444 on line 16. If applicable, include your spouse’s EIP 2 as shown on your spouse’s Notice 1444-B on line 19. Valid social security number. A valid social security number is one that is valid for employment in the United States and is issued before the due date of your 2020 return (including extensions)."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies