Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alpard27

Need some expert advice

Back in 2018my ex wife left unexpectedly, literally left and never came back, come tax season I filed my taxes for the yr 2018 in 2019 as I normally would, but did married filling separate, because she wasn’t living in the home for more then 10 months, she skipped filing her taxes that year, the following year she used that w-2 claimed her dependent, and got her return, on my irs account it showed I owed nothing up until now?  I have no idea what she did or how she filed but now they’re saying I owe more then 4 g’, when I reported all of my income, any advice would be great, thank you 🙏 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Need some expert advice

Best advice is to gather any data and documents that prove your income and address.  If you had any children living with you then you need proof that they were living with you at your address (school, doctor or daycare records).  If you believe she may have filed jointly and forged your name you can file Form 8857 for innocent spouse relief and Form 3911 to request an investigation.

25.15.1.2.4 (06-26-2017)

Forged Signatures

1. When a spouse establishes his or her signature on a joint return was forged and there was no tacit (implied) consent to jointly file the return, the joint election is invalid. Again, the relief from joint and several liability provisions do not apply. See IRM 25.15.19.2.4.1, Tacit Consent Factors, for more information.

2. Innocent Spouse information is contained in this link as well.

If you need assistance you may want to contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for assistance.  

1. You can click here to begin: TAS Qualifier Tool. or 
  2. Submit a request for assistance - Form 911 Request for TAS Assistance (instructions are included)
  3. Locate the local TAS Office for your area

This will get the process started for you.  It's not going to be a fast process because they are handling a large volume at this time. 

If you do not hear from TAS within one week of submitting Form 911, contact the Taxpayer Advocate office where you originally submitted your request. Incomplete information or requests submitted to a Taxpayer Advocate office outside of your geographical location may result in delays.

Due to the potential delays, I would advise to complete the forms using the links above (Form 8857 and Form 3911) to start the process.

Lastly, you can request a transcript of your returns for those years to see what shows up on the IRS Transcript (click this link to get started).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies