Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nblock23
Returning Member

Need Help with Maryland State Withholding Error on Amended Return

Hi everyone,

I recently encountered an issue while filing my taxes and could use some guidance. In March when I submitted my tax information using TurboTax Desktop as a partial resident of Maryland (using Form 502), Turbotax failed to include my Maryland state withholding. As a result, I ended up owing over $1,000 more than expected.

Upon reviewing my tax documents again on April 14th, I realized the issue and promptly filed an amended return with the correct Maryland state withholding information included also through TurboTax Desktop. I have yet to get my refund back and have tried calling the Maryland Comptroller’s office unsuccessfully for weeks, only to get an automated message that my return hasn’t been processed yet, that they are assisting other customers and to call back later. 

I called again yesterday, and received a new message that my return was not processed, and I again wasn’t able to speak to anyone. 

I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight or has experience with a similar situation. Should I expect the Maryland state authorities to automatically process my refund once they receive my amended return, or is there additional action required on my part to follow up and expedite the refund process?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Need Help with Maryland State Withholding Error on Amended Return

There should not be any additional action required by you. But there is no way to "expedite" the refund. You just have to wait.

I have no specific information about Maryland, but the IRS takes 4 months or more to process a federal amended return. Maryland might be just as slow, or slower.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies