Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nblock23

Need Help with Maryland State Withholding Error on Amended Return

Hi everyone,

I recently encountered an issue while filing my taxes and could use some guidance. Last month, when I submitted my tax information using TurboTax Desktop as a partial resident of Maryland (using Form 502), I inadvertently failed to include my Maryland state withholding. As a result, I ended up owing over $1,000 more than expected.

Upon reviewing my tax documents again today, I realized the issue and promptly filed an amended return with the correct Maryland state withholding information included also through TurboTax Desktop. My question is: what steps, if any, do I need to take now to ensure I receive a refund for the overpayment resulting from this error?

I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight or has experience with a similar situation. Should I expect the Maryland state authorities to automatically process my refund once they receive my amended return, or is there additional action required on my part to follow up and expedite the refund process?

Any advice or tips on the best course of action would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You shouldn't have any trouble receiving a refund of taxes withheld since the taxing authority will have a record of the withholding, as they get a copy of the W-2 Form issued to  you which lists the taxes withheld. Often, even if you don't enter the tax withheld on your tax return they will refund it as they know what the correct tax withheld amount is.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nblock23

Thanks Thomas! The money was paid out 30 days ago and they hadn't yet refunded the money on their own, is this normal as well?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, time works differently.  You can try contacting them at 1-800-638-2937 or 410-260-7980 from Central Maryland.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies