Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need amendment option to update carryover information from 2021 to 2022

Why isn’t there an update option on the “What do you need to change on your return?” screen to amend carry over information from 2021 to 2022 Windows Desktop Premier version?  The update will not only appropriately handle losses etc. but should also provide other needed information such as the details needed to calculate my taxable pension.  In my case I will need to manual enter that information from the 2021 paper return, but I first need to make sure that Turbo Tax 2022 is recording the changes as an amendment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Need amendment option to update carryover information from 2021 to 2022

To ensure that your carryover loss is factored in before you prepare your amended return, make sure you start preparing the amended return using the TurboTax file that was used to prepare your 2022 tax return.  This file should not have any changes but should match what was filed with the IRS.

Once you are in this file, follow the steps in this link to start preparing your amendment.  Once you have started the amended return, you should be able to get into the interview screens again.  Depending upon the type of carryover you need enter from 2021, you will enter it within that specific section of the federal interview section.  

For example, if you have a capital loss carryover from 2021, then you need to enter into the 2022 tax program.  To do this, you will go to the federal interview section under the Wages & Income section.  You will then scroll down to the Investment income section and specifically, the Capital Loss Carryover and select start/edit to the right of this section.  Proceed to answer the questions and enter the applicable carryover amounts from your 2021 tax return.

If your pension amount has also changed, you will also enter the updated amount based upon your corrected information.  This would be entered in the Wages & Income section under Retirement Plans & Social Security.

Once you have entered the corrected amounts, you can also select Forms on the top right and select Form 1040-X to make sure the changes are reflected under the Income and Deductions section of the form under column B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies