Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bgrabert
Returning Member

My wife's father died and she inherited the house, which she sold. We received a 1099-S for the sale of the home, do we declare that as income?

Since she split the sale income with her brother, the 1099-S only shows 50% of the proceeds.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

My wife's father died and she inherited the house, which she sold. We received a 1099-S for the sale of the home, do we declare that as income?

Yes. She has to report the sale of her share of the inherited home.

The cost basis of the home is the step-up basis, which is the market value of the home on the decedent's date of death.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

This is no designated place, in TurboTax (TT), to enter a 1099-S.  Where it goes, depends on what was sold. Entering it in the "1099-B section"  (Investment Income / Stocks, mutual funds, Bonds, Other) of TT is the correct way, in your case. Real estate is "other".  Answer no when asked if you got a 1099-B. 

When asked when you acquired this property, type the word, INHERITED. That will make the capital gain/loss  long term. 

The cost basis for inherited property is the fair market value (FMV) on the date of death.  If the property was not used for personal use, by you (not the decedent), it can be treated as investment property and any capital loss is deductible.  If you did use it for personal use, after acquiring it, check the box "any loss from this sale is not deductible" on the screen "Select any less common adjustments that apply

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies