Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My W2 has a code D in box 12, but that amount being used on for 8889 line 2 for some reason. Can someone please explain?

Code D is for Elective deferrals to 401k, but TuboTax is pulling that in as HSA contributions on form 8889
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MayaD
Expert Alumni

My W2 has a code D in box 12, but that amount being used on for 8889 line 2 for some reason. Can someone please explain?

Contribution to 401k plan does not go on form 8889.

You use Form 8889 to:

• Report health savings account (HSA) contributions (including those made on your behalf and employer contributions),
  • Figure your HSA deduction,
  • Report distributions from HSAs, and
  • Figure amounts you must include in income and additional tax you may owe if you fail to be an eligible individual.

Line 2 instructions: 

Include on line 2 only those amounts you, or others on your behalf, contributed to your HSA for 2023. Also, include amounts contributed for 2023 made in 2024 by the unexpended deadline for filing your 2023 federal income tax return, April 15, 2024.

You do not include employer contributions or amounts rolled over from another HSA or Archer MSA

irs.gov

Your HSA contribution is reported in box 12 of your W-2 with the code W (Company Contributions to Health Savings Account). 

Code W reports the combined HSA contributions from you and your employer.

For contribution not on a W-2 check: Where do I enter my HSA contribution?

Please revisit your W-2 and HSA sections and make sure that you have entered the information correctly. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies