Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jifamily

My spouse is a dual US and Canadian Citizen and have worked in Canada full time in 2023. how to exclude his income in Canada in the US TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

My spouse is a dual US and Canadian Citizen and have worked in Canada full time in 2023. how to exclude his income in Canada in the US TurboTax?

@jifamily ,  did he live in Canada for all of 2023 or was he commuting everyday ?

If his tax home was in Canada, then he could avail himself of  Foreign Earn ed In come Exclusion.  In TurboTax, under personal income, choose  "I will choose what I work on", choose  "I do not have a W-2", continue, then from the list of income categories, near the bottom  under  other uncommon incomes, choose "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion".  This will then walk you through filling out form 2555 and that is it.

If you need more on this , please feel welcome to add to this thread and I will come back and help.

jifamily

Thank you for the information.  I have a follow up question, he has RRSP contributions made via employee contributions to an employer sponsored group RRSP plan. Can he deduct his RRSP contributions from earned income in Canada? if yes, how to do it in TurboTax?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, he cannot deduct his contributions to the plan on his US return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies