Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Level 1

My son turned 26 so he camoff my insurance. He has medical issues and can’t work right now so I provide all of his support but we did sign him up with Covered California to ease that burden. I’m wondering if I can still claim him as a dependent?

My son turned 26 and dropped off my insurance. He has some medical issues and can’t work at this this. He is living with me and I provide 100% support. He did sign up for Covered California to take that burden off of me. Now as I look though, I don’t believe I can claim him as a dependent because he just used his information and 0 income when he enrolled. Am I correct that I now can’t claim him as a dependent? Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
bkaytaxes
Employee Tax Expert

My son turned 26 so he camoff my insurance. He has medical issues and can’t work right now so I provide all of his support but we did sign him up with Covered California to ease that burden. I’m wondering if I can still claim him as a dependent?

Greetings,

You can claim your son as a dependent child if they are totally and permanently disabled at any age  If that is not the case you can still claim them as a dependent.  It would just be dependent "other" versus dependent child. 

Here is more information if you would like more details.  See middle of page two:  Tax Benefits and Credits for Disabled Taxpayers 

Thanks @649 for joining us today!!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chines2
Employee Tax Expert

Good Afternoon,

Just expand on @bkaytaxes response, your son could be claimed as a dependent either as a qualifying child or qualifying relative.  He meets both tests because he is your son, lives with you all year, meets the low-income requirements, and gets more than half of his financial support from you.  You can find IRS guidance on these options here.

I hope this helps your understanding of this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies