Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is 24 and not a listed as a depended on our taxes. He is covered by my health insurance however. Can I deduct medical expenses related to him?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son is 24 and not a listed as a depended on our taxes. He is covered by my health insurance however. Can I deduct medical expenses related to him?

Possibly.  There are times when you can deduct medical expenses for someone who is not listed as a dependent on your return.  In order to do that the following would have to apply:

• "He lived with you for the entire year as a member of your household.
  • He is related to you (as described in the section  Who's a Relative).
  • He was a U.S. citizen or legal resident, or was a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year.
  • You provided over half of his or her support for the year."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/tax-exemptions-and-deductions-for-families/L0Nx5Tnxi  Click on link for more information

If all of the above apply, then you can deduct his medical expenses.  

However, please note, that if he is covered through a plan through your employer, generally, insurance paid through an employer is not deductible as it is paid with money you are not being taxed on so it would be considered double dipping. So the premiums paid would not be able to be deducted although other eligible medical expenses would be.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Possibly.  There are times when you can deduct medical expenses for someone who is not listed as a dependent on your return.  In order to do that the following would have to apply:

• "He lived with you for the entire year as a member of your household.
  • He is related to you (as described in the section  Who's a Relative).
  • He was a U.S. citizen or legal resident, or was a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year.
  • You provided over half of his or her support for the year."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/tax-exemptions-and-deductions-for-families/L0Nx5Tnxi  Click on link for more information

If all of the above apply, then you can deduct his medical expenses.  

However, please note, that if he is covered through a plan through your employer, generally, insurance paid through an employer is not deductible as it is paid with money you are not being taxed on so it would be considered double dipping. So the premiums paid would not be able to be deducted although other eligible medical expenses would be.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies