Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son goes to school in Texas but when he was home in Alabama for Xmas break last year he purchased a car. This was January 2023. Does he need to file an Alabama return?

The tag and sales tax are way less than his standard deduction for federal. But does he need to file anything in Alabama?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My son goes to school in Texas but when he was home in Alabama for Xmas break last year he purchased a car. This was January 2023. Does he need to file an Alabama return?

No, 

If he has no taxable income, there is no reason for him to file. 

Only state INCOME tax withheld is refundable, not sales or property tax you pay.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

if he had no income there is no return to file

if he did have income, filing depends on the amount and type

Federal

you can check charts B and C in the 1040 instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf 

Alabama instructions

https://www.revenue.alabama.gov/ultraviewer/viewer/basic_viewer/index.html?form=2024/01/23f40bk.pdf 

If your son's permanent residence is considered to be Alabama, then he must file an Alabama state income tax return that reports and pays tax on all his world-wide income, regardless of where he was temporarily living or working at the time.  Being "away" at college is usually considered a temporary absence and your son lives at home (as you said).  (To change his permanent address to Texas requires a change of domicile--he must abandon Alabama has his home, move out, change doctors, social relationships, etc. and establish a new permanent residence in Texas that he intends to live in as his permanent home.)

However, you don't mention your son's income.  Just buying a car does not trigger filing a tax return, it depends on how much taxable income he has.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies