turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

warnesal

My office address is different from my employer address on the W-2, so where did I "make money"?

I live in Virginia, my office is in DC, but my employer address on the W-2 is Maryland. For the purposes of listing the state where I "made money", do I list DC or MD?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

My office address is different from my employer address on the W-2, so where did I "make money"?

Your short answer is that you should just list Virginia as your "home" state of residence, and leave it at that.  Because Washington, D.C. has a special agreement with Virginia, if your only income from Washington, D.C. is from your W-2 employment, then you don't need to enter that fact into TurboTax, or file a D.C. income tax return.  In TurboTax, this will look like the screen-capture images attached to the bottom of this text; simply click the images to open.  For a longer answer, please continue reading.

If you live and work in Virginia (and this applies to telecommuters too), then it actually doesn't matter where your employer may be based, or what return address is printed on your W-2.  It could be Maryland, California, or even Paris, France.  As an individual, you don't have to file a tax return or pay taxes in your employer's home state (or country), or in the state where they may happen to have a payroll office (hence the address on your W-2).

Really, all someone normally needs to do is report and pay taxes on what they earn from their employment in the state(s) where they actually live and where they work.  In your case this is Virginia and Washington, D.C.  But, as was already mentioned, by special agreement Virginia residents working in Washington, D.C. don't have to pay income taxes to the District of Columbia. Thus, a Washington, D.C. return is not required.  Don't be concerned, for income tax filing purposes, what the employer's address on your W-2 indicates.

In other words, an employer's corporate (or agency) address or headquarters that is different from the state(s) in which you live and work, has no actual meaning or effect on how you file your personal income tax return.  Thus, you don't need to input an answer in TurboTax that you made money in any another state, simply because of where your employer is based.  That's not what it means to have or earn income in more than one state (although we can certainly understand and appreciate the confusion if you haven't faced this issue before).

Let's work through another example just for clarity.  Say that Mary lives and work in Kansas, but her employer is headquartered in North Carolina.  Furthermore they have a payroll office in Minnesota that issues her a weekly paycheck and mails her a W-2 at the the end of the year.  In this situation, she only has to file a tax return and pay taxes in Kansas.  She can and does ignore North Carolina and Minnesota for tax reporting purposes.  Hopefully, that logic and this explanation will help to clarify things.

In conclusion, as you can see, it makes all the difference for personal income tax reporting where you are working and living; but it does not matter where your employer is located.

Thank you for asking this important question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Your short answer is that you should just list Virginia as your "home" state of residence, and leave it at that.  Because Washington, D.C. has a special agreement with Virginia, if your only income from Washington, D.C. is from your W-2 employment, then you don't need to enter that fact into TurboTax, or file a D.C. income tax return.  In TurboTax, this will look like the screen-capture images attached to the bottom of this text; simply click the images to open.  For a longer answer, please continue reading.

If you live and work in Virginia (and this applies to telecommuters too), then it actually doesn't matter where your employer may be based, or what return address is printed on your W-2.  It could be Maryland, California, or even Paris, France.  As an individual, you don't have to file a tax return or pay taxes in your employer's home state (or country), or in the state where they may happen to have a payroll office (hence the address on your W-2).

Really, all someone normally needs to do is report and pay taxes on what they earn from their employment in the state(s) where they actually live and where they work.  In your case this is Virginia and Washington, D.C.  But, as was already mentioned, by special agreement Virginia residents working in Washington, D.C. don't have to pay income taxes to the District of Columbia. Thus, a Washington, D.C. return is not required.  Don't be concerned, for income tax filing purposes, what the employer's address on your W-2 indicates.

In other words, an employer's corporate (or agency) address or headquarters that is different from the state(s) in which you live and work, has no actual meaning or effect on how you file your personal income tax return.  Thus, you don't need to input an answer in TurboTax that you made money in any another state, simply because of where your employer is based.  That's not what it means to have or earn income in more than one state (although we can certainly understand and appreciate the confusion if you haven't faced this issue before).

Let's work through another example just for clarity.  Say that Mary lives and work in Kansas, but her employer is headquartered in North Carolina.  Furthermore they have a payroll office in Minnesota that issues her a weekly paycheck and mails her a W-2 at the the end of the year.  In this situation, she only has to file a tax return and pay taxes in Kansas.  She can and does ignore North Carolina and Minnesota for tax reporting purposes.  Hopefully, that logic and this explanation will help to clarify things.

In conclusion, as you can see, it makes all the difference for personal income tax reporting where you are working and living; but it does not matter where your employer is located.

Thank you for asking this important question.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies