Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wayne-07

My mother inherited her real property. She quit claimed it to my brother and I.She passed, and we sold the property.How do I figure my tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mother inherited her real property. She quit claimed it to my brother and I.She passed, and we sold the property.How do I figure my tax?

The value of the property you acquired as a gift from your mother is: Her cost of the or the Fair Market Value (FMV) at the time of the gift whichever is lower.

So your mother's basis or cost of the property would have been her FMV at time of death of who she inherited it from. Also improvements made after she acquired it. 

Your brother and you would each report your share of the sale, selling expenses and cost of the property.

So if it sold for $110,000 and selling expenses were $10,000, you would have $55,000 sales price and $5,000 of expenses.

Your more difficult part is probably figuring out your cost basis in the property.  

You would report it as follows in TurboTax.

To enter your Investments sold

Click on Federal Taxes

Click on Wages and Income

Click on I'll choose what I work on

Scroll down to Investments

On Stocks, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Wayne-07

Would the selling expenses include closing cost and commissions, etc ?

yes, closing costs, realtor fees, staging costs, etc. would all be included for the share that is yours.
Wayne-07

Would my mother's cost/basis also be entered at the 50% of what the full amount was ?

Your mother gave the property to your "Brother and I" so these two would each show 1/2 of the sales and use 1/2 of the mother's cost basis in computing the gain or loss.  The mother when giving it, was considered a gift.

The value of the property you acquired as a gift from your mother is: Her cost of the or the Fair Market Value (FMV) at the time of the gift whichever is lower.

So your mother's basis or cost of the property would have been her FMV at time of death of who she inherited it from. Also improvements made after she acquired it. 

Your brother and you would each report your share of the sale, selling expenses and cost of the property.

So if it sold for $110,000 and selling expenses were $10,000, you would have $55,000 sales price and $5,000 of expenses.

Your more difficult part is probably figuring out your cost basis in the property.  

You would report it as follows in TurboTax.

To enter your Investments sold

Click on Federal Taxes

Click on Wages and Income

Click on I'll choose what I work on

Scroll down to Investments

On Stocks, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies