Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tess4

My mortgage on my primary home is paid in full - no interest to claim. Have 2 vacation homes that do have interest - home and RV. Can I claim both the vacation homes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My mortgage on my primary home is paid in full - no interest to claim. Have 2 vacation homes that do have interest - home and RV. Can I claim both the vacation homes?

It depends.

Mortgage interest is allowed as a deduction on your primary residence and second home only.  

• Per IRS, your primary residence is home where you live most of the year.  IF your vacation home is where you lived the most, you can treat it as your primary home and deduct mortgage interest
  • For your 2nd home - you can choose which home -vacation or RV (RV must have cooking, sleeping and toilet facilities to be qualified as a second home) you'd like to deduct.  Per IRS "a second home is a home that you choose to treat as our second home. If you have a second home that you do not hold out for rent or resale to others at any time during the year, you can treat it as a qualified home. You do not have to use the home during the year."

Note: You can deduct property tax on all three properties.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

It depends.

Mortgage interest is allowed as a deduction on your primary residence and second home only.  

• Per IRS, your primary residence is home where you live most of the year.  IF your vacation home is where you lived the most, you can treat it as your primary home and deduct mortgage interest
  • For your 2nd home - you can choose which home -vacation or RV (RV must have cooking, sleeping and toilet facilities to be qualified as a second home) you'd like to deduct.  Per IRS "a second home is a home that you choose to treat as our second home. If you have a second home that you do not hold out for rent or resale to others at any time during the year, you can treat it as a qualified home. You do not have to use the home during the year."

Note: You can deduct property tax on all three properties.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies