Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is self-employed. What is the maximum amount he can write off for tools?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband is self-employed. What is the maximum amount he can write off for tools?

The limit is $5000 per invoice for this kind of stuff and there is a section 179 expense limit of $1 million. Read irs publication 535.

Per Pub 535:

Unless the uniform capitalization rules apply, amounts spent for tools used in your business are deductible expenses if the tools have a life expectancy of less than 1 year or they cost $200 or less per item or invoice. 

As with all other business expenses:

To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary

Hal_Al
Level 15

There is no monetary  limit on how much he can deduct.  As the other replies indicate, there are rules on whether expensive tools can be written off, totally, in the year purchased or whether the cost must be spread  out (depreciated) over several tears (typically 5 years or 7 years)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies