suzi031665

My husband and I divorced in 2019. The home was awarded him. However, the refinance loan and home status for the county remain in both names Who gets the deductions?

AlexanderS08

The only scenario in which you would be eligible to claim the mortgage interest and property tax deductions for the property would be if:

1. You actually paid the mortgage or property taxes; AND
  2. You received the 1098 from the mortgage company with your social security number as the "Payer."

With respect to the divorce decree, we cannot provide legal advice and you should contact a qualified attorney in your state to discuss any legal ramifications of the divorce decree.

Goodejean

Thanks for the information. This divorce was to be a friendly one but It has not so far.     [Innappropriate content removed]