Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

powjea70

My husband and I are on Medicare & pay $100/month into our HSA from our checking account. We use the HSA only for medical bills. Do we now owe taxes on that $100/mo?

We make HSA payments from taxed income and expect a tax credit on the $100/mo payments, not an extra 6%tax. What are we doing wrong?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

My husband and I are on Medicare & pay $100/month into our HSA from our checking account. We use the HSA only for medical bills. Do we now owe taxes on that $100/mo?

Yes.

You are not permitted to make contributions to an HSA if you don't have HDHP insurance coverage. Medicare conflicts with HDHP coverage for purposes of the HSA.

So it sounds like all your contributions to an HSA (at least since you went on Medicare) will be declared as in excess. You will have to withdraw these amounts (if you can) and pay up to a 6% penalty for any amount that you have to carry over to the next year.

NOTE: the 6% penalty is actually 6% of the smaller of the amount of the carryover or the value of your HSA at the end of the year. So eventually, your HSA will go to zero (since you can't contribute to it), and your penalty will go to zero as well.

Your HSA custodian/bank should have explained this to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies