Solved: My daughter lives in a developmental disability group home. She receives SSI to pay for her room and board. I purchase clothes, provide health insurance- can I claim her

My daughter lives in a developmental disability group home. She receives SSI to pay for her room and board. I purchase clothes, provide health insurance- can I claim her

I visit her every couple weeks.  I pay for all her deductibles, etc. Last year I was able to claim her because she moved to the group home mid year.  This year, she has been out of the home the entire year in that program.  Can I still claim her since this is a necessary placement?

Yes you may.  Her staying in the group home is a temporary absence because she is being treated for her illness.  As you mention in your question, she requires treatment that cannot be received at home and while she is continuously gone, you expect for her to return home if she improves.  If you pay for expenses, you may also claim Child and Dependent Care Credit as long as you can prove that she is disabled.  Here is a website that covers what the IRS considers a temporary absence:  https://apps.irs.gov/app/IPAR/resources/help/tempabs.html

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Your welcome.  We are sorry for this difficult ordeal.