Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hodson3

My daughter graduated from college in May of 2019 - Can I still claim her?

Hello!  I found this link on here that speaks to tax year 2013, but I am not sure if the answer still holds for 2019:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-son-graduated-from-college-in-may-of-2013-and-...

My daughter graduated in May, turned 24 in July, and has been living at home under-employed since graduation.  I believe that she has earned more than $4200.  Can I still claim her this final year? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

she's too old to be a qualifying child - as a full time student must be under 24 at year end which she is not. .  

however a person can be claimed as a qualifying relative if their gross income for 2019 is less than $4,200.

so she is not a qualifying relative.

since she is neither a qualifying child nor a qualifying relative you can not claim her.

Hal_Al
Level 15

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

Because she turned 24 in 2019, she cannot be a QC. So, even though she is under employed, if she made more than $4200, she does not quality as a standard dependent either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies