orlycpa

My corporation rents an office to me, for my side business, is this rent deductible on my Schedule C?

My corporation (I own majority) owns a building, in which I rent from as an individual, for my side business. Can I deduct this on my Schedule C?

Section 162 says if you have equity you cannot. I'm confused.

Thank you.

You can deduct it on your Sch C  IF  the corporation  reports the rental income on it's return.    

tagteam

@orlycpa wrote:

You do not have equity in the building, the corporation does. If you had equity in the building individually, you would essentially be renting to yourself. 

orlycpa

Thank you so much! So does anything change if I am paying above market rent? 

orlycpa

Ah - gotcha. So even though I'm a majority shareholder in the corporation that I'm renting from? 

tagteam

Yes, because the corporation is a separate entity for federal income tax, and other, purposes.

Careful about renting above FMV  as the IRS could consider this a tax avoidance scheme by moving income from the Sch C subject to SE taxes to a corporate return which may not.