Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My children Social security card have the legend "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"

Hello, we are a family of 5, we are citizens of Mexico but now we live in the USA, but we all have a social security card that has the legend "Valid for work only with DHS authorization." We are in the green card process and received EAD (Employment Authorization Document) cards last year. When filling out the turbotax forms it asks me for my 3 children's information (15 yo, 9 yo and 6 yo), but when ask me to enter their social security number, there is a box that I'm not sure if I should check it or not "Social security number is not valid for employment", there is a big difference in credit if I check it. In the help section it mentions that I must validate the box if the legend "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" is present on the card, but as I mentioned before the legend says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" and we have the EAD cards for each of us, so I guess I shouldn't validate it, but I prefer to ask. Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

My children Social security card have the legend "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"

As long as the EAD cards are valid, the SSNs are valid.    Don't check the box unless the social security is restricted with NOT VALID EMPLOYMENT.  

Valid for work only with INS authorization or DHS authorization:  If your social security card reads “Valid for work only with INS authorization” or “Valid for work only with DHS authorization,” you have a valid Social Security Number, but only if that authorization is still valid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

As long as the EAD cards are valid, the SSNs are valid.    Don't check the box unless the social security is restricted with NOT VALID EMPLOYMENT.  

Valid for work only with INS authorization or DHS authorization:  If your social security card reads “Valid for work only with INS authorization” or “Valid for work only with DHS authorization,” you have a valid Social Security Number, but only if that authorization is still valid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies