Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child passed after hours after live birth on De 29, 2023. I attached her birth certificate to my return but did not qualify for Child Tax Credit. Are they correct?

I filed my return but it got bounced back and now I need to pay much more. Should I try and fight this? It’s been very hard already and this is just another let down since they’re claiming that my daughter did not live.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My child passed after hours after live birth on De 29, 2023. I attached her birth certificate to my return but did not qualify for Child Tax Credit. Are they correct?

your only choices are to agree or disagree with the IRS decision. Certainly, fight it because according to you it was a live birth. The issue may be the lack of a Social Security Number and did you attach a death certificate?

per IRS

If your child was born and died in 2023 and didn't have an SSN or other TIN, instead of a TIN, you may enter "DIED" in column 2 of the Dependents section of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return or Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors and attach a copy of the child's birth certificate, death certificate, or a hospital record showing a live birth.

follow the instructions on the notice to appeal its decision.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies